Monday, November 23, 2009

Got Flu?

With all this crazy changing weather, its not unusual to find a few people coming down with the dreaded lurgy...aka the flu!

Now if you are very norty like moi, you will drink copious amounts of hot coffee (in my case, double strength). Now this is not really good for you, but coffee is good for flu and does help if you drink it straight away.

A much gentler and better remedy however, is this.....

Take equal amounts (about 1 teaspoon each) of dried herbs....

Yarrow
Elder Flower
Peppermint

Steep in hot water, then add honey and drink. This remedy works best if you take it straight away when you feel the symptoms coming on. If you already have the flu, you can still drink it but will need to drink it often and at night add some Cayenne pepper to make you sweat it out. Yarrow tends to have that effect anyway so don't be too concerned if you can't stand the Cayenne.

Whenever I get sick, I tend to follow my instincts and add whatever I feel my body needs. Recently I felt the flu coming on and had a very sore throat. I made a mix of Yarrow, Chamomile and honey. Drank about two cups before bed and woke up fine the next day. All symptoms gone.

Now of course chicken soup and the good old fashioned honey and lemon works too! It just takes a little longer to take effect. I remember my grandma feeding me very hot lemon and honey water just before bed when I was a child. It does make you sweat out the germs and the honey of course has many healing benefits.

The problem with flu is that it tends to dehydrate you, even if you do not sweat. A good way to re-hydrate is to drink some of that Lemon Balm tea I posted about the other day. It is full of vitamin C and helps. However, any fluids help. Soup, juice or even water. The more you drink the quicker you get better.

Now having said that, I have just been informed my little man is feeling sick. Must go and make him some tea!

Have a great day all! Hugs and smoochies xoxoxx

1 comment:

  1. I'm lucky that I rarely get colds and flu's, great ideas though :)

    ReplyDelete